The following training tip can be used to:
Teach a new puppy it's name.
Change the name of a puppy or adult dog (no matter the age) such as when you rehome a dog.
Recharge your dog's name when your dog has taken to ignoring you when you say it's name.
You will need:
Your dog just hanging around but not doing anything you don't like at the time
Some really yummy food (not it's normal meal - but some roast chicken or liver treats or something unusual but highly attractive).
Just a few minutes of your time, a few times a day for anywhere between 1 day and a week.
Preferably somewhere quiet to start with.
1. Say the dog's new name (or the one you are recharging).
2. Immediately give the dog a piece of the yummy food - regardless of what the dog is doing.
3. Repeat 3 to 5 times and stop the session.
4. Repeat session 3 to 5 times a day
5. Repeat for at for least one day and up to a week.
The end result you are looking for:
Your dog turning it's attention to you immediately and joyfully when you say it's name.
To maintain the behaviour:
* Frequently reward your dog when he does respond - praise, pet, game, toy, food or whatever he or she enjoys.
* Sometimes give a super reward (bonus) for a great response or even just randomly as long as you get the response you want.
* Do not keep saying your dogs name in conversation and ignoring him when he responds.
* Do not call his name then do anything he doesn't like to him if you can avoid it (sometimes you just can't - but then up the rewards for a while afterwards to return to the desired performance level).
Sprite is a 1 yo Lab x Great Dane looking for a lovely new home.